Unknowns and Whatevers Part II

Well, let’s get the bad stuff out of the way.

I spoke to the vet on Tuesday and Luke does have Recurrent Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, better known to horse owners as “Heaves”.

It was one of those conversations where I lost it after the ROPD news and when the vet said something about some level that is normally at 13% but in Luke, it’s at 42% and that’s significant, his words started to sound like blips and bleeps.

There was nothing in the test results indicating allergies or an infection.

I’m a little off balance. A little knocked off my feet.

I remember how Luke looked when I got him, rain rot and all.

Someone at work told me that maybe it was time to sell Luke to cut back expenses. For one thing, you can’t sell, or I can’t sell, a horse because he’s sick or because the board and vet bills mean I have to give up other things.

Luke got me through a very tough time. I won’t abandon him. I know how bad that feels. We’re going to trail ride this year. He can depend on it.

The plan is that I pick up two medications from the vet tomorrow — Desamethasone (a once a day injection to be given for at least 20 days) and Ventipulmin (a syrup given twice daily for 7 days). Cheryle will give the morning medication (the injection and syrup), I’ll do the evening (the syrup). Thank God for good friends who are always there to support me.

Luke has not coughed since the test was run a week ago, and I jogged with him on Saturday with no resulting cough, so perhaps the good news is that we’ve caught this early, can control it, and Luke and I will still have our adventures.

My son called me Tuesday night. He’s in heavy need to find another place to live in New York. I’m pulling for a good place for him and hope you will too. He’s got a place if everything goes through. Good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts…

Talking to my son helped. The anchor of a bit of family. I miss him so much. I have decided that no matter what, I’m going to see my kid this year.

For better news, kind of, I submitted a story to an anthology for Polish writers. Okay, so I’m not Polish technically but my adoptive mother was Polish, and I was told I was Polish when I was informed that I was adopted so technically…

Anyway, the submission to the anthology was due January 31st and as is my usual style, I ran it right up to the wire. I learned why I have such a hard time submitting anything. Okay, so I procrastinate, but I also have a hard time with story endings and I edit the hell out of my writing and it’s still not good enough to me.

But the total “woo hoo!” is that I submitted. Fingers crossed.

And I’m going for a repeat performance in February as soon as I figure out where to submit and thus, what to write.

Let’s lighten up…

Last Saturday, I went to yoga in the morning, then rigged up a leash configuration to walk the dogs hands free so it was easier to take photos and save my shoulders.

We took a different trail than usual and had fun checking out the pond that Luke and I have explored during the summer.

Then Cheryle and I went cross country skiing in the snow dust. Desperate snow times require desperate ski measures of glide, glide, glide, SCRITCH on grass, glide, glide glide, SCRITCH! Whatever… It was so awesome to get out on my skis!

To all of you who are struggling with problems, my heart aches for you and I think of you often. I hope you know whatever happens you will handle it. You have so many people who will be there for you. Count on it.

Similar Posts


  1. I am so sorry to hear about Luke, but it sounds like he is on the road to recovery. Your bond with Luke is so deep and I totally get your devotion to him (and Java and Latte). I am sending good thoughts your way so you are able to see your son this year. Do you ever Skype with him? At least then you could see him when talking to him. Please know that if I can help out in any way, I would happily be there for you. I would love to go to coffee or a photo hike sometime. It’s good to have friends! Take care, my new friend!

  2. Oh Maery I am so sorry..I hope the medications help. Luke has been such a good friend for you.

    That must be some two lead harness for the Brew Babies..looks good!
    Best of luck with the submission:)

  3. Oh Hon, I hate to hear that Luke has definite health issues. I understand when ya say ya can’t sell him, he’s family!!!

    I’ll pray that the meds work for him.

    Woohoo on the submission, best of luck to ya!

    God bless ya and have a grand day sweetie!!! :o)

  4. Lets hope the meds work and your friend is with you a long time to come. It’s impossible to think of giving up on our four legged friends – ever!

  5. What a positive ending after the Luke news. You’re right about friends.

    I understand your loyalty to Luke, and I wouldn’t expect anything less from you. You’ll find a way… I know that you will.

    Your photos in this post are beautiful.

  6. The good thing is that Heaves is manageable. A friend’s horse has this condition and he’s been diagnosed for over 5 years and does well. Cold weather tends to make it worse and so does pollution.
    I love that photo of you and Luke. You both look so…free!

    Good thoughts for your son, too!


  7. I love Luke just because he is part of you. I am sending both of you all the good thoughts I can muster. Maybe we can love him well. You have walked so many bumpy roads and still stand with grace. Not only stand, you hike, you bike, you skijor…and you even make a home for worms. You are woman!

  8. Maery Rose. I am so glad that you are there to support Luke. Have a feeling that he is going to be fine. I could never give him up either. You have been very good at getting through things, and it’s going to happen again…with your horse and your son. Keep writing.

    Also, you have developed so many good relationships with people who can support you…it has to help.

    Sending love and a big hug to Luke.

  9. Oh..you have snow – lucky you!! So sorry to hear about Luke. Of course you’re not going to sell or abandon him. Our animal friends mean so much!!!

Comments are closed.