I know you’ve just been holding your breath for this — news on my deck status.

If you don’t remember exactly what I’m talking about, well, perhaps you should consider taking some Ginko Jiloba. Wait, that doesn’t sound right. Okay, so I can’t remember what it’s called.

Anyway, here’s a refresher. The deck work started out with two guys planning on removing a row of siding and a couple boards from the deck to install a flashing, which should have been there anyway, but wasn’t.

They only got as far as removing the siding when they discovered a few other things were not quite right. They thought I should look at it before they went any farther. (Note that Shy is looking aghast with her death ray eyes.)

This sent my heart aflutter. But after the initial shock, I said, “Well, it has to be fixed, so do whatever needs to be done.”

The next day I came home to this. Heart attack number two.

It took the guys awhile to determine what to do with this mess. So many things were wrong with how the deck had been installed. We checked the city offices. No permit pulled. At least an inspector hadn’t approved this. Geeze!

The rotted stuff was removed and replaced with some new boards. Concrete was poured to install three legs that would be attached to a crossbeam so the deck would be somewhat freestanding.

The final work turned out really nice, clean and sturdy looking. A big improvement!

Saturday was spent putting down deck cleaner, then spraying it off with a pressure washer to remove as much of the old stain, dirt, and grayness as possible.

Sunday, the protective sealant was applied.

It took longer than I thought it would. Doesn’t everything? I’d been hoping to get the privacy fence done too but that will have to wait until next weekend.

It about broke my heart to spend the whole gorgeously, weather-perfect weekend working on my deck. Unfortunately, you can’t exactly do that kind of work on a crummy, cold, rainy weekend. I had hoped to get the deck furniture done too but that WILL wait until a crummy weekend as it can be done in the garage.

I did manage to get out on my bike and pick up some food at the coop and butcher shop. I love that I can do this! And I love my bike basket!

I enjoy the slowness and leisureliness of running my errands on my bike. I am so often in a rush, trying to get as much done as possible, as quickly as possible, and missing out on the beauty of the day.

I enjoyed the bike ride, the compliments I got on my helmet, the conversation I had with another bike rider who was practically aglow with happiness about the warm weather, watching the butcher slice my turkey meat for my lunches and wrap up the hamburger to be grilled for supper, picking out a couple bones for Java, and so on. The whole process made me light hearted and happy. If you don’t remember my awesome helmet, let me refresh your memory…

And last Friday, Java and I walked to the drugstore to pick up a couple of my prescriptions at the drive through window. Java got three dog treats out of the deal and several compliments about what a pretty dog she is. (Maery beams because she thinks so too.)

Here, Java stopped gnawing on her bone for a moment to check out a scent in the air.

Maybe she just smelled all the leaves that have fallen to the ground. My technique of just chopping the leaves up with the lawn mower isn’t keeping up with the deluge of tree droppings.

Is anyone else having trouble with their dog bringing in a pile of leaves, stored mainly in their tail, every time they come back in from outside?

And now for a brief word from Shy, who I caught enjoying a patch of sun that crossed my bed.

I couldn’t have said it better. Good night all!

Similar Posts


  1. I love the contentment I hear shining through your words! I have to tell ya it truly makes my heart dance for you.

    Your deck is just beautiful. I didn’t get mine done this summer or my deck furniture refurbished. These dang shingles stole my summer this year.

    I just returned from Tx where I got to spend ten days with my Daddy before he lost his three decade battle with Leukemia. I’m so thankful he no longer has to endure the pain, surgeries, and suffering anymore.

    I’m sooooo far behind in the blogisphere I feel I will never catch up! Chasin’ my tail~~so to speak! Heeehehehehe!

    Take care and you have yourself one marvelous week sweetie!

  2. All the work on the house is turning out great. The new deck looks amazing.
    I have to look into a similar bike basket…I love shopping excursions into town on two wheels!

  3. This is so typical. You start something and it leads to more work. Looks like you got a grip on it. Java is looking like a happy girl and you sound great! Enjoy.

  4. Nezzie – You have had a tough summer. I’m sorry about your Dad. I also know about seeing a parent suffer where they get to a point where that’s all there is. My thoughts are with you.

  5. Roxanne – I’m getting there. Each completed project makes it a little nicer and feel a little more like a piece of me has gone into it.

  6. The deck looks great. No ideas on leaves in the tail. Here it’s some kind of sticky seed pod the cats bring in stuck to them in all the wrong places. LOL

Comments are closed.